Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Sunday Drive

VIEW OF GATLINBURG, TN

As usual, I spent Saturday working. I have been working alot of Saturday's lately. Partly because I like the overtime, partly because we hired 6 new people this summer and no one seems to have a good work ethnic anymore, partly because it's the beginning of a new school year at the university where I work. Yes, the students are back in town and classes started Monday. I am already longing for the Christmas holiday, ha. And I haven't even signed up for my classes yet.

Sunday after church, my husband Jeff said, what do you want to do? I said, well...let's just go for a drive. Those are dangerous words for us! We ended up driving to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN, for dinner. Yes, we're nutty like that. But it's only a 3 1/2 hour drive from Virginia where we live. Do other people take driving trips like this I wonder?

SHOPPES IN GATLINBURG
We were married in Pigeon Forge, TN, at a cabin we rented for the week, almost 2 years ago (October 7th), so it has a special place in our hearts. We often joke that if we were to ever win the Mega Million, we should just move there. We drive to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg several times a year, often just to eat dinner or stay a night or two. For someone like me, a craft person, it's a paradise! I love going through the shops and I love the 8-mile-loop in the Arts & Crafts Community in Gatlinburg. I have this fantasy of owning a shop there one day & spending all my time working on different projects. :-) Well, if you're going to dream, dream big, right?

GATLINBURG, VIEW FROM THE AQUARIUM
We often have lunch at a quaint little place called The Wild Plum Tea Room in the Gatlinburg Arts & Craft Community and have become known as "regulars" there. Not an actual Tea Room, but a charming little bistro-type place. Their speciality drink is the "Wild Plum Tea" (hot or
cold) which is a citrus & tea beverage. OH YUM. My husband loves the tea so much that I bought their little cookbook so I could have the recipe. Naturally, he says I don't make it often enough. :-) We have become friends with the owner, Casey, and last year we were invited to their Christmas dinner. It was wonderful! We were so warmly welcomed by Casey and the staff, we even said it felt more like home than when his parents come in for Christmas. That made me sad, but how true it was for the both of us.

THE WILD PLUM TEA ROOM, GATLINBURG
I love just driving through Pigeon Forge on the "Parkway" though I can't really explain it. It is nothing more than miles of restaurants, motels & hotels, outlets and shops. Gatlinburg is the same, only a two-lane road through "downtown" instead of a 4-lane highway. And it's all surrounded by the Great Smoky Mountains. I'm really not a mountain-type-of-girl, having grown up in the Tidewater section of Virginia, but I find these mountains beautiful. Well, perhaps, I am biased since we were married here. :-)

THE PARKWAY (US-441) IN PIGEON FORGE
I'm sure we'll find our way back down there again in October even if just for a night or two. :-) And of course, we'll have to drop in, have lunch and tea, and say hi to Casey and the girls!

VIEW OF GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS, TN

Also, another happy note, I did find the newest issue of Artful Blogging! Oh, yes, how I do love this magazine. And maybe my banner will be in the next issue! :-) Now I must go and sit down with a cup of tea and enjoy & dream!



No comments: